Weekly Market Wrap: The S&P 500 began 2022 on a down note as the Federal Reserve indicated a faster taper and rate hike schedule for 2022 and the 10-year treasury rates surged.
For The Week
- The S&P 500 fell 1.87% to 4,677.03
- Oil gained 4.91% to $78.90
- Gold fell 2.01% to $1,794.40
- The US dollar rose 0.17% at $95.75 other major world currencies.
2022 Year-To Date for the major indexes:
- The S&P Index -1.87%
- The Dow Jones Index -0.29%
- The NASDAQ Index -4.53%
- The Russell 2000 Small cap Index -2.92%
- EAFE International Index +0.11%
- 10 Year Treasury Yield is 1.77%, higher for the week and higher for the year
- 30 Year Treasury Yield is 2.11%, higher for the week and higher for the year
- WTI Crude Oil Index +4.91%
- Bloomberg Gold Index -2.01%
- The Dollar Index +0.17% against other major world currencies
Monday the S&P 500 jumped 30 points on light volume as construction spending rose a little less than expected.
Tuesday stocks slipped 3 points on heavy volume as ISM manufacturing fell and missed estimates.
Wednesday the S&P 500 dropped 93 points as mortgage applications fell, ADP employment rose and beat while the Fed indicated a faster taper and rate increase timeline.
Thursday stocks fell 5 points on heavy volume as jobless claims rose more than expected, continuing claims were higher, factory orders rose and beat while ISM non-manufacturing fell and missed expectations.
Friday the S&P 500 lost 19 points on heavy volume as the December payrolls added a lower than expected 199,000 jobs, unemployment fell to 3.9% beating estimates, average hourly earnings rose to a higher than expected 0.6% and consumer credit use rose and beat expectations.
Mortgage rates were higher last week. The national averages as reported by Bankrate.com indicate a 15-year rate of 2.62% and a 30-year rate of 3.353%. These rates are as of 1/10/2022 and may include points.
What to watch for on the economic calendar this week:
Monday – No major data
Tuesday – Small Business Optimism
Wednesday – Mortgage Applications / Consumer Prices
Thursday – Jobless Claims / Producer Prices
Friday – Retail Sales / Import & Export Prices / Capacity Utilization / Industrial Production / Consumer Sentiment
Ronald J. VanSurksum, CFP®
Advanced Asset Management, LLC
January 10, 2022
economic indicators, economic news, Economy, Financial Adviser Grand Rapids, Financial Advisor Grand Rapids, Financial Planner Grand Rapids, Interest Rates, investments, mortgage rates, Personal Financial Planning, Stock Market