Social Security Tips for April 2013


Military service members can receive expedited processing of disability claims from Social Security. Benefits available through Social Security are different than those from the Department of Veterans Affairs and require a separate application. The expedited process is used for military service members who become disabled while on active military service on or after October 1, 2001, regardless of where the disability occurs.



If you are within three months of age 65 or older and not ready to start your monthly cash benefits yet, you can sign up online just for Medicare and apply for your Social Security retirement or spouses benefits later.



Anyone who has Medicare can get Medicare prescription drug coverage. Some people with limited resources and income also may be able to get Extra Help to pay for the costs – monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and prescription co-payments – related to a Medicare prescription drug plan. The Extra Help is estimated to be worth about $4,000 per year. It is so easy to apply for Extra Help and you can apply at any time, there are no enrollment periods.

Go to



There are special rules that make it possible for people receiving Social Security disability benefits or SSI to work and still receive monthly payments. There are numerous work incentives such as continued cash benefits while working; continued Medicare or Medicaid while working; assistance with education, training and rehabilitation. The rules are different under Social Security and SSI. When ready to explore work options, call the national call center where you can talk directly with Social Security about work, benefits, and the work incentive programs. Just call 1-866-968-7842 Monday through Friday, 8am – 8pm EST.

Comments are closed.

Advanced Asset Management
4555 Wilson Ave SW, Suite 2
Grandville, MI 49418

Phone: (616) 531-5220