Social Security Tips for February 2016

How can I get a form SSA-1099/1042S, Social Security Benefit Statement?

An SSA-1099 is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits. It shows the total amount of benefits you received from Social Security in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the IRS on your tax return. If you are a noncitizen who lives outside of the United States and you got or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S instead.


If you currently live in the United States and you didn’t receive an SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for tax year 2015 by January 31, 2016, or you misplaced your SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, don’t fret.

Beginning on February 1, 2016, you can get an instant replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S by using your online my Social Security account. If you don’t already have an account, you can create one online. To get your replacement form SSA-1099, go to Sign In or Create an Account. Once you are logged in to your account, select the “Replacement Documents” tab to get a replacement replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S.


NOTE: The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI).



General & Special enrollment for Part B:

If your client does not enroll during the initial enrollment period, they have another chance each year to sign up during a ― general enrollment period from January 1st through March 31st.  The coverage would be effective July 1st following the enrollment. Your client’s monthly premium would increase 10 percent for each 12-month period that they were eligible for, but did not enroll in, Medicare Part B.

If your client is 65 or older and is covered under a group health plan, either from their own or their spouse’s current employment, they can have a ―special enrollment period in which they can sign up for Medicare Part B. This means that they can delay enrolling in Medicare Part B without having to wait for the next ―general enrollment period and paying the 10 percent premium surcharge for late enrollment.


Comments are closed.

Advanced Asset Management
4555 Wilson Ave SW, Suite 2
Grandville, MI 49418

Phone: (616) 531-5220